August 25, 2008

paypal and ticketpond, you suck

i use gmail for the vast majority of my email these days because it's
web-based, has great spam protection and supports a lot of the fine
points in email protocol that other people tend to ignore.

one of these protocol features is the "+" extension. when you use the +
sign in the name of an email address, everything to the right of is
ignored but still sent to the same original email address. this is
useful for filtering (specific email addresses get special handling) as
well as leaving a digital trail of how certain people are getting your
email address.

for example, if my email address was b166er@gmail.com, i could use
b166er+blog@gmail.com for as my address here and my b166er account would
still get the email. i'd know the original source of the email was
either this blog directly or indirectly. (and, if i wanted, i could set
up a filter to automatically forward all my +blog mail to my tmail
address on my hiptop.)

today i got an email from ticketpond.com that had my "+paypal"
extension. which means that paypal has sold my email adress to them.
this, to be clear, is the company inherently trusted with people's
banking information online. i haven't looked into the company details
yet (e.g. paypal could own ticketpond), but i don't care. i'm pissed.
and i'm not taking this lying down.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim Dierks said...

It could also be anyone you ever paid money to with PayPal (or received money from), because PayPal uses your login e-mail address as your "account ID" to identify the source/destination of funds.

Sorry to muddy the waters.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:45:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Kollar said...

I've never trusted PayPal enough to get an account. What happened to the AbiWord developers — someone cracked their password & cleaned out their account, and it was restored only after PP got lots of bad publicity about it — only reinforced my distrust.

And if they're selling email addresses, how does enabling spammers make them any different from *being* spammers?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< RETURN TO B1-66ER'S ENTIRE WORLD