August 24, 2005

scrubbing

an old college roommate, who grew up in denver, asked me what i remembered about "scrubbing," a form of hazing that was common in schools, but looked down upon by the social communities, in the 70's.


part of the reason i started this blog was to catch these types of exchanges so we'll see how this goes ...


***


my memory fades on all this stuff, but i remember the possibilities as being scrubbed by 7th graders ("sevvies") on the last day of 6th grade class (which was no problem for me, because i lived across the street from the school ground) ... and then getting scrubbed by the 9th graders when you were in 7th grade -- again i remember that event being attached to the last day of school.


getting "pantsed" (having your pants forcibly taken off) was considered to be a real possibility (i seem to remember that happening to a friend of mine), as was getting your mouth washed out with soap, or getting lipsticked (i saw a kid who'd gotten that once). getting an extreme version of what was in our neighborhood called a "chinese sam" (what others called a "wedgie" or a "melvin") was part and parcel of the affair, and it was understood that you'd just generally get roughed-up -- possibly severely -- as part of the deal.


it was, essentially, a medium form of psychological terrorism ... and the pre-pubescent need to just-get-along, crossed with the rumor mill of the 12 year old social set, made the whole thing pretty goddamn daunting.


unlike the act of smashing pumpkins (which at the time i felt was unbelievably destructive of personal property, but i now think of as kind of funny, if not outright endearing), i still think of scrubbing as heinous. i was a tiny, geeky kid -- shortest in my class, always *sitting* on the floor in the front row for photos -- and i got picked on mercilessly. scrubbing was the jewel in the crown of abuse, and mine was somewhat bigger than most thanks to my binge-alcoholic father (who may-or-may-not have been drunk when i walked through the door at my safe-haven of home).


remember, i went to the jeffco schools, not denver ... so i'm sure it was a bit different where i was.


and even though i was never scrubbed; i feared it, i dreaded it, and i'm glad those times are passed.

3 Comments:

Blogger b1-66er said...

from my brother:

A bit on scrubbing- the nuclear warhead of scrubbing was being "naired." This involved filling a water balloon or cardboard milk container with nair and hurling it at your victim's head. By the time you got home, your hair fell out.

I knew a girl -actually knew her- that got naired. The hair fell out of one side of her head. She wore a scarf all summer, and her haircut was decidedly short in the fall.

Fortunately we had the most obscure route home there was. I remember fleeing for the house on the last day of school and glancing over my shoulder to see havoc being wreaked on the street in front of the school {we went out the secret backway -- b1}. Something flew through the air spewing a white liquid, and kids sprinting at full speed. I ran for the house, not looking back again.

Monday, August 29, 2005 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Knaster said...

"Scrubbing" was so deeply buried in my subconscious that it didn't come back until an hour after I read this. In my neighborhood of Denver, scrubbing meant being marked up with lipstick. I don't know if it ever really happened to anybody. Memory plays tricks, reality is lost with time, and my eyes are blurry after reading so much white on black.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger b1-66er said...

this from my pal "solid" goldstein, the guy who originally asked me
about scrubbing.

***

Interestingly, I cannot find one
reference to scrubbing on google, quite a rarity these days. I was never actually scrubbed but recall quite vividly the terror that would build as you got closer to graduating 6th grade, looking out the window at mobs of junior high kids haunting the outskirts of the school. I witnessed a few scrubbings, however. I wonder if they still do it in denver?

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 1:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< RETURN TO B1-66ER'S ENTIRE WORLD