quote of the moment
a return to greatness
country in which people talk to their neighbors the most: germany
country in which people talk to their neighbors the least: canada
--- john briffa
-- mark twain
* training should be incremental.
* training needs to be taxing and systematically improving.
* it should be interesting to engage the motivation circuits in your
2. change strengthen connection between neurons engaged at the same
3. neurons that fire together wire together.
4. initial changes are just temporary.
5. brain plasticity is a two-way street and we can either drive brain
change positively or negatively.
6. memory is crucial for learning.
7. motivation is a key factor in brain plasticity.
-- brent bauer
-- pierre boulle; opening line of "plant of the apes"
-- "mayo clinic fitness for everybody," page 60
-- special K
-- lawrence wallace to the US supreme court
-- anonymous "livescience" article on msnbc
relative aerobic paces for the mile† for people > 45 years old
note: if your aerobic pace is 8 minutes or less, subtract 3% from the
earlier body fat calculation
good health section
(breakover for those < 45 is 13 minutes)
21 minutes or longer
† the speed you can cover consecutive miles at a comfortable pace that
doesn't get you out of breath ... in other words the spot during
exercise where you can hold a conversation, but not sing
-- sole graffito on a bathroom stall; santa nella, CA
-- cameron birse
-- special K
-- covert bailey
-- john mayer
-- nationa association of realtors, 2005
-Jonathan Schwartz, of Sun Microsystems, on Twitter
-- jean hugard & frederick braue; "expert card technique," 1940